Video-assisted thoracic surgery in the diagnosis of interstitial diffuse pulmonary diseases

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Interstitial lung diseases are best diagnosed by surgical lung biopsy. Videoassisted thoracoscopy (VATS) is less aggressive than open lung thoracotomy and its development is associated with an increased number of lung biopsies. Between July 1994 and July 2004 we performed 70 VATS biopsies for interstitial lung disease patients. Only one biopsy was considered inconclusive (1.4%). The remainder 69 (98.6%) established a final diagnosis. The results in our series show that VATS lung biopsy is a safe method with low mortality and morbidity and an excellent rentability.
Original languageUnknown
Pages (from-to)129-32
JournalRevista Portuguesa De Cirurgia Cardio-Toracica E Vascular : Orgao Oficial Da Sociedade Portuguesa De Cirurgia Cardio-Toracica E Vascular
Volume11
Issue number3
Publication statusPublished - 1 Jan 2004

Cite this