The former Benedictine church of the College of Our Lady of Estrela in Lisbon knew, throughout its history, various interventions that shaped both its architecture and distinctive interior features. The history of this building starts with its reconstruction in the XVIII century thanks to the patronage of a benefactor of the Benedictine order. Later on, the occupation of the convent by the army from the late eighteenth to the twenty-first century led to several actions towards its artistic objects: in 1930 the army decided to sell all the religious objects that belonged to them and sold almost all the artistic assets of the former Benedictine church of Our Lady of Estrela. However, in 1946, the same army decided to carry out restoration works in order to reactivate the cult. The several interventions in this building witness not only the current taste in each timeline, but essentially the understanding of its heritage value, subject of the various actions from the agents responsible for them in each historical moment.
- Church of Our Lady of Estrela