O caso dos Monumentos erigidos ao Doutor Sousa Martins no Campo Mártires da Pátria, em Lisboa: (1898-1904). Do reconhecimento científico ao culto popular: O papel da escultura pública na construção e materialização de novos significados e dinâmicas no espaço público na viragem para o século XX.

Translated title of the contribution: The case of the Monuments erected to Doctor Sousa Martins at Campo Mártires da Pátria, in Lisbon (1898-1904). From scientific recognition to popular cult: The role of public sculpture in the embodiment and materialization of new meanings and dynamics in the public space at the turn to the 20th century

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

99 Downloads (Pure)

Abstract

O presente artigo constituiu uma proposta de leitura dos dois monumentos dedicados ao Dr. Sousa Martins, no Campo Mártires da Pátria em Lisboa, tendo o primeiro, da autoria do escultor Queirós Ribeiro, inaugurado em 1900, sido demolido para dar lugar ao que ainda hoje subsiste nesta praça, inaugurado em 1904, realizado por Costa Motta (Tio).
Numa primeira fase pretende-se uma reflexão acerca das diferentes tipologias de monumento empregues em cada um dos casos, analisando a forma como as opções escultóricas adoptadas procuraram materializar e exaltar as virtudes de Sousa Martins, elevando-o à condição de herói contemporâneo. Posteriormente, reflectir-se-á sobre o papel da escultura pública na definição de significados e vivências do espaço público, mostrando como neste caso, por via da presença de uma obra escultórica, um mesmo espaço passa a ser associado, simultaneamente, a valores científicos (proximidade com a Escola Médica e exercício da Medicina por Sousa Martins), mas também a valores devocionais e espirituais (vertente caritativa e "milagrosa" pela qual ficou conhecido). Por último, problematizar-se-ão possíveis pontos de contacto entre o monumento sito em Lisboa e os que foram posteriormente dedicados ao médico na Guarda (1907) e em Alhandra (1908), ao nível formal e tipológico, enquadramento no espaço urbano e recepção por parte do público.

This article aims a new reading on the two monuments erected in tribute to Doctor Sousa Martins, located at Campo Mártires da Pátria square, in Lisbon. The first monument, created by the sculptor Queirós Ribeiro in 1900, was shortly after replaced by a new one executed by the sculptor Costa Motta (Tio) in 1904, which still stands today in this square. Firstly, we will reflect on the different monument typologies employed in each case and how these distinct sculptural options tried to materialize and exalt the virtues of Sousa Martins, thus elevated to the category of a contemporary hero.
Later we will discuss the role of public sculpture in the definition of meanings and perceptions of the public space, showing how through the presence of a sculpture a place can simultaneously be associated with scientific values (proximity to the Lisbon Medical School and the medical work of Sousa Martins), but also with devotional and spiritual ones (the charitable and “miraculous” image by which he became widely known). Lastly we will provide a reflexion on possible bridges between the Lisbon monument and the ones later erected in the city of Guarda (1907) and in the village of Alhandra (1908), regarding formal aspects and sculptural typologies, interaction with the urban space and their public reception.

Translated title of the contributionThe case of the Monuments erected to Doctor Sousa Martins at Campo Mártires da Pátria, in Lisbon (1898-1904). From scientific recognition to popular cult: The role of public sculpture in the embodiment and materialization of new meanings and dynamics in the public space at the turn to the 20th century
Original languagePortuguese
Article number6
Pages (from-to)222-255
Number of pages33
JournalRomanthis - História, Arte, Culture e Património do Romantismo
Volume1
Issue number1
Publication statusPublished - 9 Oct 2022

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'The case of the Monuments erected to Doctor Sousa Martins at Campo Mártires da Pátria, in Lisbon (1898-1904). From scientific recognition to popular cult: The role of public sculpture in the embodiment and materialization of new meanings and dynamics in the public space at the turn to the 20th century'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this