One of the most significant venues of the Society of Jesus in the capital of the then Kingdom of Portugal was undoubtedly the Professed House of São Roque. Built with the specific purpose of housing Jesuits exclusively devoted to liturgical services, this hub of Jesuit influence in the Portuguese capital would enjoy a position of great prestige under Habsburg rule. It also became the stage of countless festive events, which both the King and the nobility made a point of attending. Throughout its history, several factors converged to turn this institution into one of the most important within the contemporary religious landscape of Lisbon. Among them was the donation of a valuable collection of relics by the Spanish noble Juan de Borja. Equally important were the dynamism and influence of the brotherhoods that were based at this church. Chief among these was the brotherhood of Our Lady of Doctrine. One of the most numerous and influential in the city, it was known for its magnificent processions, which marked the history of São Roque. In addition to the relentless pastoral and doctrinal activity by both Jesuit priests and laymen, São Roque’s profile was further raised by the preaching of such illustrious figures as (the future Saint) Francis de Borja (1510-1572) and Father António Vieira (1608-1697), among many others.
|Title of host publication||Portuguese and International Religious Orders and Congregations|
|Editors||José Eduardo Franco, Luís Machado de Abreu, Susana Mourato Alves-Jesus|
|Place of Publication||Lisboa|
|Number of pages||35|
|Publication status||Published - 2018|
- Lisbon; Procession; Society of Jesus; Early Modern; Habsburgs