In 1834 religious orders in Portugal were extinguished and masculine convents and monasteries were immediately closed. Libraries were among the patrimonial goods that were confiscated by the Crown with the aim of a later distribution among secular libraries. The aim of this article is to inform about the contents of two of those religious libraries, belonging to the convents of the Holy Trinity Order and located in Miranda and Mirandela. Ultimately, we hope to contribute to the History of religious libraries in Portugal and to identify books and readings in Trinitary convents.
|Number of pages||22|
|Journal||TRINITARIUM. Revista de Historia y Espiritualidad Trinitaria|
|Publication status||Published - 2021|
- Holy Trinity Order
- Convent of Mirandela
- 19th century
- Convent of Miranda