DescriptionOnce the liberal revolutionary movement broke out in August 1820, several national institutions, with a predominance of municipal ones, erected celebratory monuments designed to point out the on-going events that would culminate with the foundation of the first Constitutional Monarchy in Portugal.
In a dispersed continental territorial geography, not confined or delimited by the main itinerary followed by the insurgent militaries, between the cities of Porto and Lisbon, several architectural structures were built to serve as privileged sets for the civic festivities of political support. Mostly composed of triumphal arches, the architectural compositions were built in the noblest urban areas of the cities and towns of the Kingdom, in close proximity to the main institutional buildings responsible for their promotion.
The triumphal arch structures, built with ephemeral materials and for a brief period of time, were adorned with multiple figurative elements and allegorical components, sometimes accompanied by laudatory texts designed to enhance the leading personalities involved in the events. In most of all, such as the arch built at the Rossio of Lisboa to receive the Provisional Board of the Supreme Kingdom Government members on October 1st, 1820, the figure of D. João VI stood out.
The presentation proposal aims to delineate the geography of the public and collective civic festivities, promoted in order to identify and contextualize the celebratory triumphal arches erected throughout the Kingdom after August 1820. Afterwards we intend to analyse the architectural structures archetypes and ornamental elements, to decode the allegorical and figurative contents and to comment the encomiastic texts arranged and composed in unison in order to exalt and propagate the ideological principles of the liberal regime.
|Period||13 Oct 2021|
|Event title||Congresso Internacional: BICENTENÁRIO DA REVOLUÇÃO DE 1820|
|Degree of Recognition||International|